Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Jakers!!!

I cannot even believe this kid is 6!!  Time goes by way too fast... it is almost depressing to think that I have a 6 year old kid!  But, he is darn cute--that is for sure!  

(Isn't he so handsome?  Love that kid)

We woke up in the morning and Jake got to open his presents.  Superman was invited to his party, but he was busy catching bad guys, so he took a picture of himself and wrote a little note to tell Jake "Happy Birthday".  (He thought that was pretty cool)

Unfortunately, Jakers birthday landed on a Thursday, so he was due for a CBC.  Kris, our home health care nurse, came over to draw labs.  (She even supplied us with the birthday cake!)  She is so great--the boys absolutely love her!  She always has some kind of treat, or takes her time to play games with them.  The other day, I walked in the room and Jake and Cole were both on her back playing horsie... she is so fun and so wonderful with our kiddos!!
Later--on with the party!  We had a SUPERHERO party.  The Joker came and stole all of their superhero kits, so they had to go on a treasure hunt and find where he hid them.  When they did find them, a 'bad guy' made an appearance and everyone was able to get 'im with their spider web spray  (silly string)  and throw bombs (poppers) at him.  They loved it and thought it was great.  Jeff played his role very well as I am sure you can imagine!
Happy Happy Birthday Jakers!  We love you!


(Off of the birthday note:  We have been getting complaints that we have not been giving updates on Jakes therapy often enough!  So a small update: As of right now, he is completely off of chemo.  We are still in the middle of the fourth phase, but the second part of it requires that you have an ANC count of 750.  We have been stuck between 0 and 200 for the last three weeks.  Basically, that means he cannot finish this phase until his counts go up.  If they are not up by Monday, they are talking about doing a bone marrow aspirate to make sure there is nothing else going on to keep his counts so low.  
Other than all of the medical junk, he is doing so so well!  He is walking so much better and will even try to run every once in awhile.  He has had a lot more energy and is up for riding his bike and playing outside for short periods of time.  It is an incredible difference from just two months ago.  We are so grateful and continue to feel so blessed for how well he has pulled through.)





9 comments:

Janae said...

I am so glad he is going better. Happy Birthday Jake! And your pictures are great too.

Karly said...

What a fun party! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAKERS!

Angie said...

Love the superhero birthday. SuperHondo probably had more fun thean the kids. We need to get over there. Noah has a present for Jake that Cole has already opened twice. Happy Birthday Super Jake!!

ChrisAndJack said...

Happy Birthday Jakers! I'm sad we missed such a cool party. I can't believe how big you are getting. We are so excited to see you, and Cole and Crewsers and we can't wait to have another birthday party on your non-birthday. We miss you!

Tori said...

Great pictures! Happy birthday Jake.

Carrie said...

Seriously a handsome little fella! Happy Birthday!

laurie Carlson said...

JAKERS....
What a FUN Super Heroes Party!! You are getting way to big!! Happy Birthday Jake!
I love you...Grams

Kari said...

He is so adorable. I thought about him on his birthday (he shares it with my sister) and the superhero party-what a great idea. Love this silly string and poppers idea! You guys sure know how to throw a party!

Family of Strength said...

Hiedi, my heart aches for you and your little boy. I don't know what to say. I can imagine the frustration of wanting to move forward but not being able to. Keep up the positive outlook. You are definitely in our prayers, especially Jakers!