Thursday, February 23, 2012

roadblocks

webIMG_6526

I think I have started and restarted this post three different times now. I really don't even know where to begin. I am still in shock from all of the information we received this afternoon and am trying to process it. Jake finished his five rounds of chemo this yesterday morning.
webIMG_6494webIMG_6508webIMG_6488

He did very well overall. He has been sick to his stomach and did not eat anything until late last night. We were told to expect his counts to drop in days and to expect him to not feel well. Because of the drop in counts, we are supposed to give him neupogen for the next ten days. Neupogen is this lovely little drug that comes in the form of a shot. I will give it to him in his leg, while Jeff will most likely hold him down. I am anxious to see how he does with this. Especially when you consider how well he did the last time around. He will also start needing to have blood transfusions. We already have a time scheduled on friday for him to go in for blood.

Cole came up on Saturday and for a few hours on sunday. He was very clingy and did not want to leave the hospital either day. I know I have said this before, but he is the child I worry about the most through this whole ordeal. He is so quiet and it is difficult to get him share how he is feeling about things. Things that are usually not a fight with him, have become difficult. I realize that he is trying to adjust to things as well, but I still worry about him. It is not just Jake this is hard on. It has turned Cole and Crew's world upside down too. He and Jake played the xbox and had a lot of fun together. Which I am so grateful for. Because with those two, you never know what you are going to get!:)
webIMG_6550webIMG_6542webIMG_6534

One of Jake's best friends came up to visit on monday. It was so good for him... they had fun playing Diary of a Wimpy Kid board game and of course the xbox. I am not sure what people did years ago with no video games to keep their kids entertained in the hospital! As much as I hate the thing, it was a lifesaver most days!
webIMG_6568webIMG_6556


After all of this, we were told that he needs a bone marrow transplant. The bone marrow test that was sent back to seattle this weekend came back positive. Meaning, he is still not in remission. .01% of his cells were still leukemic. It may sound like a small number, but it means that there are still about a million leukemia cells floating around in his body. Because of this, a transplant will give him the best fighting chance to survive. If we did only the high dose chemo, he would have a 40% survival rate. With the transplant, his survival rate goes up to about 80%. Even with the odds though, I still have my doubts. There are so many risks involved with a transplant, it scares me to death. Not to mention the months that you are in the hospital and the side effects. We will finish out this course of treatment, and do another five weeks of chemo. After which, he will be admitted for the transplant. It is tentatively set for sometime in May. He will miss all of fourth grade. He will be on immunosupressants and be kept isolated for a very long time. Even with all of this, if it saves his life, I am more than happy to do it. Both Jeff and I and even Jake are in a little bit of shock. We never expected to be in this situation. We never expected radiation and chemo and a transplant. It has been a difficult couple of days. I am pretty sure I am going to go prematurely gray because of this child and the stress that comes with all of this!

webIMG_6595webIMG_6522

Thank you so much for the prayers and cards and support that is continuously sent our way. We have a rough road ahead of us, but we know that things will work out the way that they are supposed to. We have a wonderful team of doctors and nurses and know that our little kiddo is in the best possible hands. We will continue to keep you updated on his progress.

15 comments:

The Kotters said...

We love you guys and you're in our prayers!!! GO JAKE!!!

Annie said...

There are just no words. More tears for you and more prayers for all of you. That Jake is such a special little fighter. Praying for his comtinued strength and for sweet little Cole and Crew...bless their hearts for having life turned upside down...And you and Jeff...I wish I knew how to help. Prayers. Lots and lots of prayers for you. Love you!

BS and the Kids said...

Bless your hearts. We love you guys.

John and Charese said...

OH Heidi, I am so so sorry for all you and your family are going through. I check your blog often, pray for your family daily! MAY YOU BE BLESSED! only God is in charge! It is so hard, I know how it is for my family and I right now, and I can only imagine how hard it is on you as well. BIG HUGS to you! From one mom, one friend, one cancer warrior to another! If you ever want to talk,I will message you my number on FB. LUVS!

Emily said...

Wow! We are praying for you all! What a trial to have to go through. You will be blessed.

Tiffany said...

Stupid cancer....Sure L.O.V.E. you guys!!

Kristin said...

Oh how we love you guys. I hope you NEVER get sick of all this LOVE! You guys are always in our thoughts and prayers!!

Janae said...

I am so glad you posted an update. You have been on my mind a lot the last few days. I guess I know why now. We are praying for you and your family!

Unknown said...

Heidi,
Your family is in our prayers. If we can do anything at all, let us know. If you need donors with the blood transfusions we're happy to do whatever we can.

Uncle Dana

kto1s said...

There are no words, Heidi! Sending love, thoughts & prayers of strength as you navigate this new turn of events. You guys are loved by so many!

Katrina said...

Oh, Heidi. A great big hug from me to you! As has been said, there are no words. My heart hurts for all you are going through and it's so hard to understand why such a sweet boy and his family must go through all of this. Not a Takahashi prayer is said without the mention of Jake. We are pulling for you all! xoxo

Mistie said...

Hi Heidi-
It is Mistie Scott. Just thinking of you. I am sorry you and your family are going through all of this. Hang in there.
Best of luck...

Eric and Cindy Hansen said...

I found your blog through a comment Laurie Carlson left on my blog, www.echansen.blogspot.com.

I am so sorry that your fight is beginning agin. I am just starting to get a taste of "cancer life." My 4 year old son was diagnosed with a rare inoperable brain tumor- Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. Were were given 1-2 yrs. The reason for all this is, we would LOVE to send Jake a package. Atticus, my son, loves getting packages so we thought we could send one your way, if your comfortable with giving me your address.

cindy.hansen7@gmail.com

Lots of love, The Hansen Fam

Katie said...

Heidi, I have nothing clever or beautiful to say. All I know is that we are praying for Jake and you and your family every prayer of the day. We are praying for strength, comfort, peace and understanding. And my boys often throw in in a prayer that he'll have cool cars to play with while he's sick. Sending much love and faith your way. Love you, Heidi & your sweet family.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Heidi,
I got your email today and to say that our entire family was devastated by the news of the relapse is an understatement. Kate has put together some things to send Jake and wants to come out and see you guys. I think that she is hurting for him and can empathize as only a child who has gone through leukemia treatments can. Please send me your address and let's talk to see if a visit is a good idea. I saw that a BMT will be taking place in May and his visitors will be severely limited for a while after that.
Much love,
Carolyn, Kate, Jason and the rest of the crew