Things have been much better the last couple of days. We have come to the realization that Jake is fighting for control. And who can blame him? His whole world has been turned upside down and he gets what is going on this time around. He knows what is happening and is trying to figure out a way to do things his own way. He is refusing to eat and refusing to take any medication. He keeps telling us his tummy hurts too bad, but more than that, I think it is something that he has control over. As the day has gone on today, it has gotten a little bit better, but his appetite is still not what it should be on steroids and we worry that he will start to lose weight again. The only thing we have going for us is that he remembers the feeding tube and HATED it. But when we told him that if he continues to lose weight, we will be forced to give him a feeding tube again, he just replied with, "So what? I don't care." He is too smart for his own good. Sweet boy. It is harder on him than anyone else. We have answered many 'why' questions the last couple of days. "Why me?" "Why do I have to take medicine again?" "Why can't I go to school?" It has been a never ending battle trying to explain why Heavenly Father would allow him to get cancer not only once, but twice. Other than the constant battle of meds and eating, he is good. He feels well most of the time and was even running around and playing with cousins last night. Hopefully he can stay this way for awhile... we will see. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the good days will outnumber the bad and so far we have been lucky. Only one awful day so far. And we are still taking it only one day at a time. So, who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Here are some pics getting chemo on saturday up in ICS. We had fun watching Pirates of the Caribbean, playing Batman on the Xbox and reading the new Percy Jackson series. He also ordered room service. Twice. Five hard boiled eggs and six pieces of bacon later, he was done.



5 comments:
heidi, what to say? just know that i am sending all my love & prayers & positive thoughts jake's way. i am so grateful for the chance i've had to get to know him through primary these last couple of months. he is such a great kid. and you, my dear, are an incredible mother. you are all so, so strong. xx
Heidi and jeff I got on your blog to look at your beautiful photography, only to find your sad news. I am sooo sorry! It just leaves a pit in my stomach. Our prayers will be with you. And I have to say the 5 hard boiled eggs and 6 pieces of bacon part made me laugh! When Ethan was on prednisone he tried to eat a whole bag of those popcorn puff things and he was 18 months old.:) Stay Strong! I know you can!
Hi Heidi, Jeff, Jake, Cole, Crew,
I'm Brittany, Leslie & Bobby's friend from CO. I was so sorry to hear the bad news last week... it really hits home because we have 3 boys very close to your boys' ages. We talked to our boys about your family last week and ever since our 6-year-old, Luke, has been sure to remember Jake in every family prayer that he says. We love your sweet boys even though we haven't been lucky enough to meet them. We will keep up the prayers. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your faithful perspective with us.
DANG IT! I hate it all! I am so sorry he is going through this, it sucks, it really does! I can't imagine watching your baby go through such an awful thing. That is one thing I am grateful for is that it is me and not my kids. Please know i am praying for not only Jake, but your whole family. This is a trial that is hard to understand. Only faith can get us through, and sometimes it is hard to have. Try to keep smiling and hold on to the positives. Hugs and Loves sent your way. Charese
Hi Heidi,
We have a daughter Jake's grade (not in his class) and another in Cole's class. We heard about Jake and HAD to come check in on your family. Please know there are SO many praying and thinking of your family. This def. pulls at my mama heart strings...hits to close to home. All of the kids at school miss him, too. Please let him know that...(although he doesn't know my daughter)...so many now know of your family. We are here for you and will spread the word of awareness. Thank you for sharing Jake's story with us. God bless your family. Oh yeah, cancer DOES suck. ;)
Post a Comment