Today was Cole-train's 4th birthday!!! We set up a safari tent and animals in our front room last night for him to wake up to. We were really excited to celebrate and have a good time. Heidi made cupcakes and it was going to be fun. Unfortunately, we called the doctor yesterday to report on Jake's weight and they told us to come in today for a feeding tube. The appointment was at 10:30 and we thought it would only take a few minutes. We were a little off on our guess! He had to get saline and then platelets. They both take forever to get and then you have to wait for things. Now I know why you are called a patient. Takes FOREVER. Then we had to get the feeding tube put down him. The first time they put it down, it went pretty easy. He gagged a few times and fought like crazy but they got it down him. There's nothing more exciting than having to hold down your kid while he screams and screams. Well, they get it down him and we go to leave and he rips it out. So we have to do it again. Heidi was out in the hall with the nurses and so it was just Jake and I in the room waiting. After he stopped screaming for a few minutes and yelling and telling me I was fired he put his head in his hands and started sobbing and said, "why didn't I just eat more? Dad, I promise I'll eat more if you don't make me get the tube." Fun times. Don't let your kids get cancer...I wouldn't recommend it. I know there will be some serious growth, personally and as a family, from all of this but it's tough to see it on days like today. For me, today was one of the most difficult days we've had since we've been home from the hospital. They were able to get the tube down the second time and things went well from there. It was actually probably good that he ripped it out because it showed him we have to have it in and we'll just keep putting it back in if he keeps ripping it out. He's been a champ about the tube since we've been home and he ATE when we got home!! He ate all his mac and cheese and french fries from Red Robin and then ate some of Cole's! He's on a mission. The tube is actually going to be great for him because we have to get his weight up. He started out at 95% of target and is now down to 80. Another positive is that it's really easy to give him his medicine now since it's all liquid and goes down his tube!
Cole's birthday was not exactly like we planned but we were able to have the safari this evening and he opened presents and had a good time. He was so great today and shared everything with his "brudders." It was cute this morning...Jake was up and Cole walked down stairs and Jake yells to him, "Who's that big 4-yr old young man? Come over here and give me a big squeeze!" Cole always tells us who he dreamed about the night before and today he said he only dreamed about his brother Jake...and that's it! Those boys can be best bud's and mortal enemies! Typical boys!
On another positive, there is no sign of leukemia and Jake is doing well. We feel so incredibly lucky to be in the situation we're in. We have a great family and friends. Jake is such a fighter. It was fun to watch him and Cole try to figure out how the I.V. pole works and how the little drip maching works. Jake saw himself in the mirror and smiled. He thinks he looks like someone from Star Wars with special powers! We'll post some pictures of today later. That's Heidi's job!
4 comments:
Feelin' for you! We had home health over last night, too. Isn't this fun. I think Kenyon is now more determined to eat better so that he can avoid the feeding tube. No fun.
Happy belated Birthday, Cole-train! I can't believe our boys are big 4-year-olds now. Time flies. Sorry to hear about Jake's feeding tube. Hope the weight will come back on quickly for the poor little guy. SO cute what he said to Cole on his birthday. You have the cutest boys.
Jeff you're a doll and totally made me cry & smile! I've known Heidi since I was eight and am so happy that she has you and that you have her and that you two have those amazing baby boys! I just want to squeeze you all and tell you I love you and am always thinking about you all! m
I'm so sorry that you landed with the tube. Sometimes things just...suck! Hang in there. You know, our kids ARE the toughest!
Post a Comment