We obviously had some high's and low's but all in all things were o.k. today. Heidi let me go home and take a nap and that was awesome. I was running out of gas in all honesty. The hardest thing as a parent during this whole mess is trying to be strong. After you get over the shock of being blind-sided you have to figure out what is best for Jake and what do we need to do to beat this thing. It's tough to see Jakers like this, but we also know this is the best way for him to be ok. It's hard to be positive and upbeat, yet also force him to take the medications when he fights and fights.
Finally, it's interesting how things unfold. We are now part of a "club" we never thought we would be in. We have learned so much about leukemia and met so many great people that have gone through what we are going through. We have, obviously, done tons of research and found different bike rides for leukemia and triathlon's for it as well. The Lance Armstrong "livestrong" lifestyle and mentality has taken a new meaning to our little family. I wish I had the answers to why things happen, but I don't. All I know is that we can be bitter and mad and ask "why me" or we can go on and fight and figure this thing out. Jake is so strong and positive. You can tell he's hurting so much, but he's doing great. Heidi is VERY strong. It's a good thing because her husband is a wuss! We, again, just want to thank everyone for all their support. We will keep you updated. We love the posts everyone leaves. They are very helpful!



16 comments:
Hondo...you are not a wuss! You and Heidi are amazing! Your blogs are wonderfully written, and we love the updates. Caiser and I wish we could do more than just keep you guys in our prayers! You are amazing parents, so strong, and examples to us all!
Oh, you guys. I am so sorry about the fight with the meds. It is so true about them thinking they can have that control in their lives when they have lost all other control. I don't know if you have tried letting Jake push the syringe himself, that sometimes helps, they feel they have that control at least. Or let him choose what medication he wants to take first, etc. Letting him have choices regarding how it is going to go really does help. I am glad yesterday was a little better. And you really have joined an elite group. One of who have had struggles and trials that many others couldn't endure. Take advantage of the groups, that is why they are there, to help get you through this. You both are so strong-LIVESTRONG.
Jake,
Thanks for being my friend. I miss you. You are an awesome swimmer and I can't wait until we can go together again. Laters Dude. Big T
Wow! I was shocked to hear the news of little Jake. You are such a strong, wonderful family, I know you will be blessed! You are in our thoughts and prayers continually. The blog is a great way to hear updates, you truly are amazing people.
Chris, Amy, Bella, Mya and Ava Morley
We appreciate the "wordy" updates. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do this and giving us the details. We're so glad to hear that you got to rest some yesterday.
We all look up to your family so much. Like many have said, only certain people can handle such a trial.
Like I said yesterday the medication (and the IV) is the WORST PART of this whole thing!!! He will (unfortunately) get used to it and it will be second nature. YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! You need to be eating and sleeping. Make yourself leave that place. When I worked there we literally had to kick parents out that were just exhausted and starving! We love you guys...
KEEP THE UPDATES COMING!!!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to update your blog! I can just imagine the struggle it is to get him to take his medicine. He is such a strong willed boy - which is exactly what will get him through this! The backyard has just been so quiet - all 4 of my kids really don't know what to do with themselves. I always laugh at them when they see Jake and Cole outside and they have to run out to say hi (especially Garrett). It just goes to show what fun and amazing boys you have. You are a truly wonderful family! We love you so much!! -Jason, Jen, Garrett, Karli, Whitney, & Hailey
Dear sweet Heidi (and Jeff) . . . I heard your crazy news today and was so grateful to be able to come to your blog and find out more details. I'm so sorry that you have to be going through this. How frightening and tiring and sad and everything else! We will certainly keep your sweet Jake in our prayers - as well as both of you and your other darling boys - as you all face this trial head-on. May God bless you and fill in all the blanks for you at this scary and difficult time.
With Much Love and Concern,
Annie (Burton) Karren
Oh, and Heid, how's are Child Life doing up there at PCMC? I always love to hear stories of what I could have done if I would have actually taken the certification test. Anyway, we're thinkin about ya!
Just a quick note. Last night Jamison and I were saying our prayers for Jake and when we finished, Jamison very quickly (and worried) said, "but mommy, we forgot to pray for Coltrain!" so we quickly kneeled again and sayed a prayer for Coltrain! Our hearts and thoughts are always with you. Sorry to leave another comment.
Much Love, Mary and Jamison
You are in our prayers daily. We love you and hope it all goes well. We know a little about fighting with meds. Hopefully he will surrender at some point and realize that it's not going away. Thanks for letting us be a part of your lives.
Julie
I was glad to hear you finally slept for the first time in almost 4 days. Everything is 100 times harder to deal with when you are hungry and tired. You have to keep yourself as strong as possible in order to be a strength to Jake and Heidi, so as hard as it is to break away, please continue to take care of yourself! The last thing you need is for you or Heid to get sick. You are a rock and I admire you so much!!!
Heid, this is Carrie Cook, I saw your blog through the chain. Wow your kids are gorgeous as I would have expected. I can't believe you have so many now and you are of course tiny! I hope we can keep tabs now! My blog is private but if you send me your e-mail I'll add you to the list to view it carriepace@msn.com Best wishes girl!
You are in our thoughts every second of the day. We are praying so hard for the quickest, easiest possible recovery for Big Jake. Our hearts are broken for the pain Jake and you are going through! We want to know when shave your head for Jake day is, even CJ is seriously considering it. Jeff we think your name should have been Mondo because you are Mondo strong, because you have a Mondo strong, talented, gorgeous wife, because you have a Mondo wonderful family, because you have a Mondo number of people praying, fasting, and pulling for all of you and because we love you so Mondo much!
All our love and prayers,
Julie, Cevin, Katie, Brandon, CJ, Ryndan, Robby, Ali and Lizzy
Tell Jake that Kenyon had a bone marrow biopsy today and he is feeling a little crabby today. He was probably ready to shout "meany" too. It stinks! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Elder Jamieson-
Hey there, this is Chris Ulrich (long lost friend from the mish, also know Heidi and her family from high school). My mom told me about your little boy and I saw your blog on Brett and Sarah Nelsons. I just wanted to post here and let you know that your son is in our prayers. I know that you are going through a very difficult time right now. Just remember that the Lord only gives us trials to make us stronger. Take care..
Viva la mision Mexico Puebla!
Chris
Post a Comment