Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Monday's results

We went to the doctor yesterday for our first outpatient chemo and everything else he had to do.  It went o.k.  He had to have the iv hooked up to his port and he wasn't too excited about that.  The Child Life Specialists, bless their hearts, wanted to explain everything that was going to happen and showed him the needle they stick in him.  Of course, he flipped out since the needle is huge.  I don't blame him, I can't stand needles either.  I wish they would have just stuck him and went on with it.  We put some numbing cream on him so he didn't feel it, but the anticipation of it all was awful.  I downloaded some Scooby-Doo shows for him and that helped.  
Then we met with his doctor and she said things looked normal and that we should have results from the bone marrow biopsy in the next week or two.  She also said his hair would probably start falling out in about 2 weeks as well.  Heidi is really worried about me shaving my head with Jake since she doesn't think it will grow back!  I figure I won't have to do my hair anymore!  Anyhow, we then went down to get his bone marrow biopsy and spinal tap again.  They put him out for it.  After that he could eat, thank goodness because it was noon and he was STARVING!  Then we went back upstairs and waited for about 30 mins for them to spend 2 mins putting the chemo in him.  All in all he did o.k.  He was really hungry and mad in the morning when he couldn't eat and didn't enjoy the needle being poked in him but he did great.  Today was actually a little tougher because I had to give him his steroid yesterday at 4 and 8p.m.  And then this morning.  Needless to say the roid rage was in full effect today.  It's hard, too, because Cole doesn't understand why Jakers doesn't want to play with him and that doesn't help much.  Anyhow, we appreciate the support and love.  So many people have done so many kind things.  We are lucky and grateful for everyone.  It's amazing how physically and mentally draining this process is.  But things are good right now and we will just hope and pray they continue to improve.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so grateful for these updates. Keep it up. My kids have not missed adding Jake to every prayer. We love you.

Anonymous said...

It is so great to be able to get updates on your blog. We are constantly thinking of little Jake and the tough time he is going through. You are in our prayers daily and we want you to know how amazing we think you all are!!!
The Morley's

McKinlay Family said...

We love your family. We pray for you everyday. I check your blog and we are so grateful for the updates. Thanks for taking the time to do them for us. Keep up the strength, Jake thinks you are his Super Heroes and we know you are.

Aimees5 said...

You probably don't remember us, but that's okay, all of us over here in "the old ward" are always thinking about your sweeet little family. You have given so many other people hope that are struggling with illness. Keep up the great blogging, it makes us all count our blessings a little more often! Good Luck!
The Chester's