Sunday, April 27, 2008

update

I figured nobody was really checking our blog that often but apparently we have a few family members that check it out and want some more updates on Jakers.  We came home Thursday afternoon and he has been doing pretty well.  They told us the 'roids would cause his temper to flare and that they would make him hungry all the time.  We haven't found either to be true.  He is incredibly skinny...so skinny it makes you worried.  He does eat a good 3 meals a day, but it's not like we can't keep up with him.  I am going to post a few more pictures that we had taken and you can see how skinny he looks.  He also has been pretty mellow.  He is very tired all the time and wants me to carry him everywhere.  He fell down the last 3 stairs yesterday and scared me to death.  Heidi has kind of taken the other two boys and I've been Jakers servant for the last while.  Cole is having a tough time I think.  Heidi and I are taking him on a date this week with just him.  It has to be hard since he was the baby for so long and then for us to have Crew and then for this to happen with Jakers.  He is a fireball anyway, but I think this has added to it. 
Our worries for Jake are what any parents would be.  Is the chemo doing its job?  Is he reacting to the steroids like he should?  They tell us the odds in our favor but I have a hard time getting too excited about odds.  I mean, 3700 kids got leukemia last year.  The odds weren't in his favor to get it in the first place.  So we're going to fight and fight and after 3 years hope we have done everything in our power for him to overcome this stupid disease.  
We are really worried about how to tell him we are going to the hospital tomorrow morning.  We didn't want to tell him today and have him get all worried but we also don't want to just show up without telling him what we're doing.  I really hope he has a good experience tomorrow.  It will definitely determine how the following appointments will go.  Let's hope for the best.  Anyhow, we will let you know how tomorrow goes.  

3 comments:

ChrisAndJack said...

I will be pacing all day tomorrow, so please let me know ASAP. Just think, every day you get one day closer to Jake being cured!! What a happy day that'll be when he is cancer free!!! That day is coming.

It's amazing how even though he is so sick in those pictures, he still looks so beautiful. You have gorgeous children. We love you.

BS and the Kids said...

I am cheering for the steroids to kick his appetite in gear!!! He does look a little skinnier, but he was skinny to begin with. Now he just really has his dad's chicken legs.

jewel said...

I'm not leaving comments because I am not good at this blogging stuff. Somehow I have to resign up everytime but I am commenting again tonight because Jack said that you didn't know how many people are reading this. EVERYONE of your uncles and aunts check it EVERYDAY! That's 14 people that look several times a day to see how he's/your doing. On top of that, Katie and Brandon, CJ, Shelly Egbert, Suzette Benecke, Gina Hatjakes, etc., etc. For someone so little, he is holding all of our hearts in his hands. Your blogging is the only thing saving you from getting 400 phone calls a day. We think about Big Jake and you and Heidi constantly! I emailed your Beneficial Life account with some emails of some people who are interested in getting life insurance, I also need some quotes. We want to make sure that Jake keeps being insured. If there is ANYTHING ELSE we can do we are ready, willing and anxious. All of my kids, especially Lizzy want to see Jake on the blog too. Even though you are far away and need to be in a bubble for awhile, our thoughts and prayers are with you all of the time. So keep blogging!!!!!!!
We love you so much!
Julie