Wednesday, April 30, 2008

lawn war with my neighbor

I thought I would lighten the blog up a little and put some other posts that aren't just exclusively about Jake. Today has been a very difficult day because he just has rage all the time...except when he is sleeping. It's funny because on Monday I told the doctor I didn't think Jake was getting the normal effects such as the temper and the appetite...Boy was I wrong!! I should have just waited a day. He has been eating all day and his temper is in full force. I'm glad to see it's working, though. The scariest part of this entire deal is not being able to see exactly what's going on. We have given him chemo a few times now, however we don't know the results of anything. I guess you just go off hope and faith that the doctor knows what she's doing and that his little body is reacting the way it should. It's tough. As we've been invited into our infamous club, we see many parents and kids that just have it so rough. We feel so lucky because Jake has a very cureable form of cancer. We were reading this website, http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ashleypeterson, and I was just sobbing. There are so many people with so many difficulties, we really feel so blessed. One of the blessings of this ordeal is that we have an opportunity to learn and find out about ways to help these great families and kids. It really has been a blessing to find ways to do a little more around the community than we were doing.
Anyhow, back to the reason for my title. My neighbor, Dave, has the greenest lawn in the neighborhood and he likes to brag about it. So, the other day I decided to start a lawn war with Dave and get my grass looking better than his. If you have any good fertilizer ideas let me know. I'll put some pictures on here so you can be the judge. Also, since Dave was my inspiration to begin the male blogging, he put a post on his blog that was pretty funny and I think you should check it out. His blog is golftilyoudie.blogspot.com. Check out the one about "when clothes are optional." I thought it was hilarious. Anyhow, that's it for now. We'll keep you updated. Thanks for keeping tabs on us. We really appreciate feeling like we aren't in this alone.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Dude,
The war is on. By the way, I don't brag about my lawn. Truth is truth, it just looks better than all others. In addition, I really have nothing to do with my lawn. Tara insists that the fertilizer company come every three days. I mow four times a week and most people haven't even mowed once yet for the year. That blows!

BS and the Kids said...

I can't believe you found that link. Jessica Christensen lives in that neighborhood and it was so hard for them. I was at Jessica's house for a Scrap 'N Swap the night she died with people in the neighborhood. It was so sad. She told her parents she was ready to go back to Heavenly Father. Anyway, on a lighter note, you have yourself a true competition there with the lawns, Davenports was green before the snow even melted!!! Best of Luck to you, I'll be sure to dump extra fertizlizer on your lawn each time I walk by.

Heidi said...

when she said she wanted to go back to her Heavenly Father was the part where I lost it. Unbelievable story.

ChrisAndJack said...

What a roller coaster. I read about Ashley first, wow. It's amazing what some families are asked to face. I was sobbing as I thought of that little girl and her family. What strength!

And then I read about Dave's steam room experience. I thought it was funny, but then I read it to Chris and he was dying. He thought it was hilarious, so it must be more of a guy thing.

Anyway, it sounds like you have your work cut out for you with the whole lawn thing. Good luck with that. Are you sure you don't want to just stick to Ping-Pong?

Sara said...

No thanks on any more stories like that...my heart can't handle them. Seriously, what a sweet girl and wonderful family. I don't knowhow people go through something like that. So hard.

Okay, let's get some before and after photos of this lawn war. We need to know how bad yours was to begin with. By the way, in CA...we have lawn all year to practice getting green. Just a thought for that day when you decide to come back some day. =)

Also, I am so glad you post so often about Jake, I check your blog all the time to see how he is doing. It sounds so hard but I'm glad Jakers is home again. Being in the hospital isn't fun for adults, let alone kids. Poor kiddo. We are praying for you.

By the way, check out our blog because Emilee Knight moved to SLC from Natomas after you guys did...she left a little message for you on our blog. Their son Ethan has been through a lot and is a primary's. She left you a number and wants you to call her. Check the entry "Prayers for Jake."

Take care and hang in there!

DJ and Gin Family said...

I think that Dave found a way for his grass to not go dormant in the Winter!
I found some grass spray paint for you online.... gemplers.com. They say that it lasts for a month, and you can buy it in a gallon jug. Just spray it on at night, and no one has to know. (Maybe you should check Dave's garage, he may already have some)!
Ginger

Jamieson Family said...

I think that the compost really put the yard over the top.:)