Sunday, April 20, 2008

a little more info

So I'm sitting here at the hospital and Jake is snoring away and I thought I would give you a few more details of what happened with us.  Heidi is home (hopefully sleeping) with the boys.  My parents drove out first thing this morning and my brother flew out as well.  Heidi's family, for the most part, is here and has been very helpful with the boys as well.  We are lucky to have such great family and friend's.  
I was at the lake in Reno with my dad working on our pipe when Heidi called and said she was going to take Jake to the doctor.  We thought he had the flu.  Well, I keep working and notice I have a message on my phone.  It is Heidi saying she was being taken by ambulance to Primary Children's for Jake...then her phone died.  I tried calling her back but she had forgotten to charge her phone and it had died.  I finally get in touch with her mom, but she didn't really know what was going on.  They thought it was some sort of infection.  Serious, but nothing too serious.  Anyhow, I change my ticket and start driving back to my parents house in Reno, about an hour drive.  Right before we pull in Heidi calls and says it's leukemia!  Wow.  Not the easiest jump to go from maybe the flu or strep to an infection to leukemia.  I don't really know any kids that have had leukemia.  Anyhow, I fly back and Heidi didn't have any more info before I left.  It was a tough plane ride to say the least.  I finally get to the hospital and Heidi is so strong and brave...as was/is Jakers.  Still no more information.  Apparently Jake had one of two types of leukemia.  Either AML--the one that's a little tougher to treat or ALL.  AML has about a 50/50 survival rate at 5 years while ALL has about an 85-90 success rate.  By success rate I mean they are still alive after 5 years.  Well, this morning our doctor told us she thought Jake had AML.  Obviously, it had been a tough 24 hours or so.  Well, before he went in for surgery, the doctor came back and she told us the tests had shown he had ALL.  Well, after our blood work had as much problems as it did with Heidi's last pregnancy, I made sure she had our blood work right.  As the doctor said, it's not a great day when you are excited about your kid having ALL leukemia but we were excited.  
I think it's important to note that Jakers is a fighter.  He's not going to give up.  His mom is a fighter.  Our lifestyle is taking a harsh change of direction, but nothing is going to keep us from being optimistic that Big Jake is going to beat this.  We are lucky to have the religious beliefs we do and to have the friends and family that we do.  It's been a tough 36 hours.  Not a lot of sleep going on here, but we're believers.  We have a great support group and the facilities here at Primary Children's are great.  That's where we're at.  I think we wrote the basics of what he will be doing for the next 3 1/2 years in the last post.  There you have it.

13 comments:

Kris said...

Many thoughts and prayers are coming your way from Vegas. We love you all and hope to see you soon. Give everyone extra squeezes for us. Kris and Paul

Katrina said...

Just found out about Jake while catching up on your blog. What a tough thing for your little family. It sounds like you have your families rallying around you but I still wish we lived closer to lend whatever help we can. Please keep us posted on Jake through the blog. We love your family and will be sending lots of prayers your way. Hang in there.

Dave said...

Good luck. You guys are in our prayers. I am excited to shave my head with you guys next week.

Unknown said...

Jeff - I got the call about Kenyon just like you did. "So we might need to run another test. It should be ok" - bam leukemia. It stinks. I finally had to take a sleeping pill one night after several nights of not sleeping. But, isn't it great that it is a very treatable kind of leukemia. Jake will fight it and you are awesome parents. Modern medicine is such a blessing! Thanks for the updates.

Jen Burt said...

We just want you to know how much we love you! Hailey insisted on fasting yesterday for Jake (her first time). You are in our every thought and prayer! We love you - J&J Burt family

The Kotters said...

WE LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! We're praying for you! We are here for you in anyway you need! Please let us know what we can do! Hang in there Jake!!!

Love, the Kotters

Anonymous said...

Jamieson Family,
Wow! Please let me know if there is anything my family and I can do to help. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Love, Clint and Ashton Eastman

Wardell Family said...

I can't imagine what you must be going through. Your family is so strong and brave. Please know that many thoughts and prayers are coming from our family to yours.
May you feel God's presence through all of this.

Amber (Eastman) Wardell

BS and the Kids said...

Jakers is a fighter and such a tough little guy!!! Both you and Heidi are too, and that will make such a difference. We love you guys!!! Give Jakers a squeeze from Tan and Paigey.

Karly said...

WE LOVE JAKERS!
Keep fighting Jake and know that we love you
Andrew, Karly and Drew Mellen

Sara said...

I am SO SO SO sorry to hear about Jake. I don't think there could be much worse in life than watching your little one go through something that intense. Please know that we love you guys so much and will keep you our prayers. Especially lil' Jake. Oh, seriously, I am so sorry but yet so grateful the percentages are in his favor. Go Jakers! PLEASE keep us all updated through your blog. I mean like really often, I can't stop thinking about it.
Love, Sara & Family

Davis Smith said...

We plan on you bringing your lil' home-teaching companion with you when he's feeling better. We'll wait - and we can be patient. :)

Davis has had two cousins with leukemia as young boys, and both are healthy and well. One is out serving a mission right now. We love you guys!

P.S. Davis says he will also join in on the shave-your-head day. Haha!

Unknown said...

Jeff and Heidi,
Our thoughts and prayers are with both of you and your entire family. Get better Jakers!
Nate and Melissa Peck