Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Monday's are awful

We go in for our chemo treatments on Monday.  What a rough day.  Jake knows he has to go in on Monday's and the anticipation of the thing really is hard for him.  He actually did great when we got in there but it was a brutal morning.  They didn't have to do the bone marrow biopsy which was nice so we were only in there for 2 hours.  It was also nice because he was able to eat in the morning.  He will be able to eat next week before we go in but the week after will be no food after midnight!!!!!  That is going to be an absolute nightmare.  He has been waking up in the middle of the night to eat cereal because he is starving.  He told us all he can do is "think about food...food and pizza."
Monday's are emotionally draining.  I had a hard time yesterday because there was a 5-year old little girl there as well and she had been getting chemo for a year and 4 months...and she's only half way there.  We have such a long road to go.  It can be very draining both mentally and physically.  We do, however, have a great support group and friends and I guess if we have to go through this we are lucky for what we have.  As far as how his week went, it was about the same each day.  He ate and ate and ate!  He did pretty good with his temper for the most part.  We feel like we are on eggshells sometimes but that's o.k.
His results, so far, have all come back very positive.  We are very grateful.  He is such a fighter and very brave.
Heidi and I are doing well.  We are tired but doing pretty well.  I have to go out of town on Wed (tomorrow)-Sun and am pretty worried about how she will do.  Hopefully, everyone that reads this will stop by or call and see how she's doing or maybe take Cole.  (This is my little plug for some help!)  We'll see how things go.  We went up in the  mountains for family night to have dinner and roast marshmallow's and have some pictures.  I will get those posted as well as some others a little later.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Monday's do blow, for many reasons. I am still waiting for that "special" post.

Us said...

Hey I don't know if you remember us the Knights from california(Jeremy went to law school there) Anyways we read about Jake on Sara's blog, and I want you to know that we are thinking and praying for you. Also our son has a tumor and we are quite familiar with primary childrens hem/onc clinic. We will actually be there all day on monday the 19th. We have to do the fasting thing too, but luckily Ethan(our son) is no longer on predisone so it's not too bad, but the recovery from anesthesia, well I am already dreading it! You guys sound like you are doing great, but if you need any help feel free to call us, especially when you really want to vent! I won't judge you one bit, been there done that, and probably going to H-E-double hockey sticks for it:) Emilee 253-6320

Unknown said...

Hey Jeff & Heidi!
We came across your blog on Bobby's and were so sad to hear about your little boy. What a hard thing to go through and to watch your child go through. Our thoughts and prayer will be with you and your family.
We would love to keep in touch better. We have a blog but had to make it private so if you can send us your e-mail we would love to send you an invite. aaronbrittbond@gmail.com